5.22.2009

A Journey...

...to Henderson!  Last Thursday morning Norah Kate and I embarked on our first journey together.  I say "journey" because I don't think I quite realized how long and involved it is to travel with an infant!  My grandmother lives in Henderson, KY and fell on Mother's day and broke both wrists.  We wanted to spend time with her, and felt that this would be a good time for Norah Kate to meet many of her relatives.  Well, let me tell you...Norah Kate could not have been a better traveler!!!  David had to work, so it was just the two of us.  She slept most of the way, and only cried the last 15 minutes of the trip!  (I really don't blame her for crying at the end...it had been 6 1/2 hours since we left Memphis!)  ...which brings me to the next part of the "journey" - Man! It takes a long time!  Usually David and I can make it to KY in 4 1/2-5 hours.  Well, we made it to Dickson, TN just in time for me to feed her (in the car - nice).  Then I wanted her to be able to get out of her seat for awhile, so I ate lunch at a Cracker Barrel in order to let her move around and play.  It worked out perfectly because by the time I finished eating she was starting to yawn.  So, we got back in the car and she feel asleep again.  Oh!  Also - I think trying to use a public bathroom when you have an infant with you is like a bad algebra problem.  It reminds me of the one where there are 4 people on one side of a river and two boats on the other side...how do you get everyone to the other side without anyone getting wet? Well...you get the idea...but we survived!  My mom was able to ride back with us on Monday, so that was very nice and took a ton of stress off of me.  :)  

I was able to spend some time with my good friend from college, Kari.  She is 27 weeks pregnant with her first little girl, Naomi Grace.  Norah Kate can't wait to meet Naomi at the end of the summer.  It was so nice to see Kari again and catch up a little.  We never have as much time as we'd like though.  :)

Here is Norah Kate with my cousin, Ross, and his wife, Sarah.
Norah Kate and Mary Ruth...our "other" grandmother.  :)
Norah Kate & her Great Great Aunt Norma Jean
Norah Kate & her Great Great Aunt June
Norah Kate with her cousin, Dawn  (not real sure why it's sideways)
Needless to say, Mama Joyce did not want her picture taken this trip...due to her black eye and the bruises.  That will have to wait until next time.  Mama Joyce is doing really well and we are thankful that the fall wasn't any worse.  


And for the surprise from the trip...check out this video!  
It takes a minute to see Norah Kate's trick, so be patient.  So exciting!!!

6 comments:

S and K said...

Yea, I made the blog :) I'm glad you posted that picture because I wanted a copy of it. It was so fun seeing you and holding Norah Kate. You're right it wasn't long enough, but it's funny even though we have only seen each other a couple times in the last 5 years it always seems normal to 'hang out' again. Can't wait to see you guys again soon.

The Schellers said...

I like the video of her rolling over! I must have been in stinking Indiana instead of there!! : ) Can't wait to see ya'll again on vacation!

Unknown said...

HOW PRECIOUS!! Thanks so much for the video. It's not like being there, but it is really nice! Hard to believe how quickly they change! She sure is precious and i can't wait to see her again. Tomorrow wouldn't be soon enough!

We were at a wedding this afternoon. Every baby I see I try to compare (age/size) to her. Needless to say, we love and miss you!

Julie said...

Go Norah Kate! She is going to be a genius! Already rolling over, WOW! I hope we can see you guys soon. Sure do miss y'all.

Unknown said...

I stole the pic of us with Norah Kate! I'm so glad you guys came to visit. She is so precious! We are very proud that we got to see her roll over! She's so smart! =] Hope to see you guys again soon!

Cullen said...

We took Harper on her first road trip last weekend, and we drove at night, just so we wouldn't have to make any stops for feedings, knowing how much it would extend the trip. That is awesome she is rolling over. We need to get together, so Harper and Norah Kate can see each other again.