6.29.2008

Chula's Allergy Testing



So, this past week/weekend we went to Nashville - we were happy to see David's brother, Jonathan and his family...but unfortunately that was not our original reason for the trip.  Chula, our chocolate lab has battled with allergies for about 2 years now (she's 3 y.o.)...we have exhausted all of our "pill" resources without much help, so we finally broke down and took her to be tested.  Yes...we had to drive all the way to Nashville to do this (we were also given the opportunity of going to Jackson, MS...but seeing as how we have family in Nashville, and a place to stay...we chose this city.)
So, we took her Thursday morning and were about to have the testing done that afternoon.  Much to our surprise...she is allergic to almost everything that she was tested on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  When we returned to pick her up that afternoon, we walked into the exam room and a vet tech sat us down and handed us a paper filled with names of trees, shrubs, grasses, bugs, molds, etc.  She said "the highlighted items are what your dog is allergic to."  I really don't remember another time that I was so speechless.  Almost everything on the sheet was highlighted!!!!!!  So, after a long talk with the doctor and vet tech, we decided to start allergy shots.  But wait! - before your eyes get too big let me just tell you that they actually cost LESS than the pills she has been taking.  YEAH!  So, let me just take this time to insert a few pictures.

Here is the area that they shaved for the testing.

Poor Chula - I hope her hair grows fast!

Chula posing with her test results - the highlighted items are what she is allergic to...this is the 1st of 2 pages. :)

Chula says "Mom, I hate it when you get carried away with that camera...enough already!"

So, besides our adventure at the pet allergist...we had a great time visiting with our brother & sister-in-law - Jonathan & Julie and our nephew, Aiden.  Aiden is almost 10 months now and he is getting so big!  We had so much fun playing with him and just spending time with Julie and Jonathan.  Unfortunately we don't have any pictures of Aiden from the trip!!!!!!!  I know, that is horrible.  Everytime I got my camera out he was either sleeping or fussy and heading to sleep.  So, I just did a bad job of catching those moments.  So...maybe next time.
Thanks Julie & Jonathan for your hospitality!



2 comments:

Marksberry Family said...

Poor Chula! I hope the shots work! I will have to tell Jared about the testing and such. His golden lab, Gracie, has awful allergies too!

Anonymous said...

Well thank goodness....now I can read all about you folks. This is great. Chula looks like me after I go through allergy testing, maybe he's kin to me. Ha!

Congratulations to you both on getting your Masters Degrees. Wow! That is quite an accomplishment. Hope you have time to travel this way to visit with us. You are welcome anytime.

Today is the 4th of July and we cleaned out the office closet. Talk about fireworks...I thought the paper shredder was going to shoot out sparks. We sure gave it a workout.

Happy 4th and thanks for doing the Blog Page. It is great!

Love you both,
Marta & Hugh Strong